Bil-Jac Dog Food Review
Bil-Jac is a brand that makes dog food in varieties of dry and wet food as well as treats and supplements. Bil-Jac terms their dog food as Super Premium Dog Food that provides good nutrition as well as great taste. The main selling point for Bil-Jac Dog Food is that they use more real chicken and real chicken organ meat than other brands, in their range of foods.
The carbohydrates used in Bil-Jac Dog Food are only for energy and a balanced diet. The carbohydrates are not used as a substitute for proteins. No extra fat is added to the dog food, and the food is processed in a way that makes it hypoallergenic for dogs.
See where Bil-Jac Dog Food Ranks:
Bil-Jac Company Overview
Bil-Jac is a family brand that was established in 1947. Brothers Bill and Jack Kelly started the company in Medina, Ohio when they returned from WWII. The intention behind the brand was to create a superior quality pet food because such a product was not yet available in the market.
The very first product of Bil-Jac Dog Food was frozen dog food. The Kelly brothers plan was to use real ingredients to prepare nutritious food for pets. The first product started to sell well and remained the only dog food produced by Bil-Jac Dog Food for the next thirty years.
Bil-Jac Dog Food came out with its first dry food product only after they developed a vacuum-drying method. The method helped to remove moisture from meat without needing to use very high temperatures. The vacuum-drying method preserved the nutrition values of the meat even after the drying process.
Bil-Jac Dog Food, however, has got only a mid-tier ranking of 3.5-stars from consumers. In 2012, Bil-Jac issued a voluntary recall of its Adult Select Formula dry dog food stating possible mold contamination. The recall was based on complaints of mold in a few packs of the dog food. The mold could have been a result of higher moisture content.
Ingredients Found in Bil-Jac
The main ingredients in Bil-Jac Dog Food are:
- Chicken by-product (organs only)
- Dried beet pulp
- Brewers dried yeast
- Monocalcium phosphate
- Menhaden fish meal
- Fortified with vitamins and chelated minerals
Bil-Jac Dog Food uses mixed tocopherols as a natural preservative. Some of the controversial ingredients in the dog food include cornmeal and brewer’s yeast. Cornmeal is viewed as just a cheap filler with no real nutrition value. Brewer’s yeast is a possible allergy-causing ingredient, but will only affect dogs prone to yeast allergies. Bil-Jac Dog Food also contains butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) as a preservative, which is a suspected cancer-causer. The total protein content of the adult dry food is about 25%. Bil-Jac Dog Food is a budget food for pets, but because of some of its ingredients, it is not a very popular brand among dog owners.
Bil-Jac Product Line
Bil-Jac sells a variety of dog food for active adult dogs, senior dogs and puppies as well. Bil-Jac product line consists of both small and large breed and reduced fat formulas.
14 Varieties of Bil-Jac Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Adult Select Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Grain-Free Adult Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Large Breed Adult Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Large Breed Puppy Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Picky No More Large Breed Chicken Liver Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Picky No More Medium Breed Chicken Liver Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Picky No More Small Breed Chicken Liver Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Puppy Select Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Reduced Fat Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Senior Select Chicken & Oatmeal Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Sensitive Solutions Whitefish Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Small Breed Adult Chicken, Oatmeal & Yams Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Small Breed Puppy Chicken, Oatmeal & Yam Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Bil-Jac Small Breed Senior Chicken, Oatmeal & Yam Recipe Dry Dog Food