Evanger’s Dog Food Review
Evanger’s has had a history of problems. The company voluntarily recalled it’s Hunk of Beef and Against the Grain Pulled Beef products for containing potential adulteration with pentobarbital. The company has struggled to provide adequate transparency with FDA testing and regulations. Evanger’s manufacturing plant was shut down in 2008 by the FDA because of expired operating permits. Additionally, according to The Chicago Tribune the company’s owners were also charged with stealing $2 million in utilities for their company.
See where Evanger’s Dog Food Ranks:
Evanger’s Company Overview
Evanger’s has been operating for over eight decades now. Founded in 1935 by Fred Evanger who was then producing pure meat canned food for his Great Danes to ensure there were no dietary deficiencies, the company has now become a leader in manufacturing hand-packed and canned pet food.
Evanger’s headquarters is currently located in Wheeling, Illinois. An independently-owned company, Evanger’s manufactures all of its products in their company-owned facilities. They use a process which is designed to preserve the nutrition of the natural ingredients that they use in manufacturing dog foods.
The company specializes in manufacturing canned food for dogs. Evanger’s offer a limited selection of dry dog food but are clearly not much into promoting the same. In fact, they market their canned food as a choice of mixer for their dry dog foods. There is over 40 varieties of Evanger’s wet dog food to choose from.
Ingredients Found in Evanger’s Dog Food
Although Evanger’s states that they provide wholesome nutrition through their hand packed raw ingredients, canned in their natural juices, they do not disclose the actual place from where they source their natural ingredients.
Here’s a look at the ingredients in Evanger’s Chicken with Brown Rice Recipe, which is the perfect Evanger’s dog food for all life stages.
- Chicken Meal (300% more protein-rich than chicken)
- Brown Rice (complex carbohydrate, easy to digest)
- Chicken Fat (rich in Omega-6 fatty acid)
- Oatmeal (rich in dietary fiber and B-vitamins)
- Dried Eggs (easy to digest with high biological value)
- Carrots (rich in beta carotene, fiber, and minerals)
- Celery (high in dietary fiber, water content, and other nutrients)
Evanger’s brings their customers and pet parents a huge selection of healthy bites, mostly in the wet and canned series. However, they do have some variants in their dry dog food offerings as well.
Evanger’s Dog Food Product Line
Evanger’s product line consist of an array of wet dog food formulas. The companies wet food options are grain-free, low fat, classic, organic and signature series.
4 Varieties of Evanger’s Dry Dog Food
- Evanger’s Chicken with Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Evanger’s Meat Lover’s Medley with Rabbit Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Evanger’s Super Premium Chicken with Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Evanger’s Whitefish & Sweet Potato Recipe with Salmon Meal Grain-Free Dry Dog Food